Looking to shop, donate, recycle, opt-out, shred, and much more? You've come to the right place!
Looking for more info on getting organized? Try Getting Organized Magazine!
Common Resource Questions
- Consumer Recycling Guide
- Great list of places to recycle unusual items, such as corks, floppy disks, packing peanuts, disposable cameras, and more.
- Find places to recycle everything - glasses, paint, batteries and more.
- Gimmie 5
- #5 plastic recycling at Whole Foods stores.
- Hope Phones
- Donate any cell phones ... working or not! No charger needed, and you can print out a FREE SHIPPING label!
- Recycling for Charities
- All wireless items such as cameras, cell phones, mp3 players, and laptops.
- Habitat ReStore
- Paint, building/home improvement supplies, appliances, furniture (in good condition).
- Back Thru the Future
- CD and DVD recycling, and data destruction
- Alternative Community Training (ACT)
- VHS recycling.
- Crazy Crayons
- Crayon recycling.
- Clean the World
- You can even donate your partially used soaps and shampoos to be sent to third-world countries!
- The Stuff Shop
- Awesome site that matches the stuff you want to donate to a charity that collects it.
- Clothing, accessories, furniture, books, small appliances, etc.
- St. Joseph's Villa
- Accepts "like new" items.
- Junk Shuttle
- Full-service junk removal and responsible disposal, ideal for large quantities or large items.
- Cinderella's Closet
- Prom wear and accessories for girls and guys.
- Dress for Success
- Women's professional attire.
- Mid-Atlantic Clothing Recycling
- Yellow Pages Opt-Out
- You don't use your phone books, so quit getting them!
- Unread catalogs are clutter. Get off those lists!
- National Do-Not-Call Registry
- You don't answer when the telemarketers call, so why keep your number on their list?
- Pre-approved credit offers
- 12 credit card offers in the mail every day? Get rid of them.
- Direct Mail Offers
- Yet another way for your mailbox to end up crammed with paper.
NOTE: If you have subscribed to a catalog or other store-specific mailings, you must contact the store directly to be removed from their mailings. The appropriate phone number should be on the catalog, or you can find customer service support on the store's Web site.
Most shredding companies offer regularly scheduled pickups and one-time purges.
- Richmond Document Shredding
- Local mobile/on-site shredding as well as an option to ship in your papers to be shredded.
- Gone 4 Good
- Offers a single-session, high-volume shredding option specific to residential customers.
- A Shred Ahead
- Geared mainly towards small businesses; shreds are recycled.
Selling & Consignment
- Sell almost anything!
- Best for popular items.
- Chop Suey
- Used books.
- Upscale furniture and accessories.
- The Attic
- Home furnishings and fine silver.
- Whispers of Time
- Home furnishings.
- Children's clothing.
- Kid 2 Kid
- Children's and maternity clothing and toys
- Once Upon a Child
- Children's clothing, toys, and equipment.
- Young women's clothing.
- Plato's Closet
- Young adult clothing.
- Designer women's clothing.
- My Closet, Your Treasures
- Upscale designer and resale boutique.
Additional Organizing Products
- The Container Store
- All organizing, all the time (no local stores - shop online).
- Modern storage, lighting, decor, & appliances (no local stores - northern VA).
- Custom storage solutions, installed.
- Custom photo storage and organization.
- Bed Bath & Beyond
- General home organization and storage supplies.
- Crate & Barrel
- Storage, furniture, and accessories.
- Moving supplies for your smoothest move ever.